Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sightseeing In Singapore


I had a university interview yesterday at SMU. My parents dropped me there and on the way while passing Stamford Road, I was taken by the sight of Stamford House's Venetian Reneissance facade.
So I went on a history trip today and collected some pics of Singapore's colonial heritage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
And after that I went straight to check out the Armenian Church on Coleman Street. It is an immensely beautiful church with somewhat simple architecture. The Armenian community is now too small so the church is used by the Coptic Christian community.

After the church, I took this pic of Central Fire Station's Italian-looking building. It was built in the early 1800s in reponse to a devastating fire in the area, which was the British government's administrative centre. See how I spell "centre"? That's their legacy...
Next I ventured into Fort Canning, an old British fort intended to defend Singapore from an invasion, which they concluded would invariably come as a maritime invasion from the south. The fort never helped when the Japanese invaded from the north... But it makes for a pretty awesome picture... That there below be "The Gothic Gate".
I ended my trip with the Singapore History Museum. The building oozes this stately, imperial vibe that's sooo good to soak up.
Wierd how you can be a tourist in your own country...
XD
-Mack
I was standing on the surface of a perforated sphere when the water filled every hole...

2 comments:

LMBeyer said...

Hi to ANA,

Thank for your comment about my pictures. Your pictures of Singapore are wonderful. Wish I could visit someday.

LMBeyer said...

My husband and I have traveled some to other countries like Egypt and England, but most of the pictures are from around my house or near where we live. My husband gave me the camera as a present 5 years ago and I love taking pictures with it. Just this month I decided to make a blog of them. And I like seeing the pictures that other people take of where they live.