Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hospitalised

Hospitalised! thats what happened to me on monday! learnt alot from that experience and i kinda realised that sometimes public hospitals can be better then private hospitals.

well i woke up on monday with just a light headache so i popped 2 panadols went to off to school. i kinda fell asleep in the bus (no.14) and woke up feeling super dizzy and nauseous. I got off the bus and i didnt know where i was. i threw up by the side of the road and flagged the first cab i saw and told him ACJC and shockingly he knew where it was. When i reached school i was so disorientated that i didnt know what i was doing. Thank heavens the student councillor in charge was a good friend of mind and rushed me to see the matron. The matron called my form tutor and they decided to send me to the hospital. Upon arrival i had a temperature of 38.2 and had high blood pressure and a high heart rate- so they rushed me into emergency. At this point i lost consciousness.


woke up 2hrs later and apparently 2 injections later. my nurse was really really really nice and pretty and she said i have nice hands! but that's besides the point. After taking my heart rate again the doctor decided i needed to go on a drip. when they first wanted to drip me on my right-hand my veins receded into my body cause of my fear of needles, eventually after 2 tries on my right hand( it swelled) and they decided to get me on the drip on my left hand.

Since i was now not in an emergency position they moved me to the recovery area. This is where my public hospital experience began.

Generally if i need to go see a doctor or go to the hospital i generally visit private doctors and hospitals. The visit to a private hospital is generally quite quiet. There is minimal interaction between patients and you get to see a doctor in under 30 minutes. There is no talking to the nurses and the doctors are generally dressed in the latest Zara or Luis vitton and these hospitals have a doctors car park that can make a motor show proud.

However while i was waiting in the recovery area there were 5 soldiers, a man involved in a accident and policeman flanking him and Bangladeshi worker and a Chinese worker.

The man who was supposed involved in the accident spoke to everyone, he spoke in Tamil and hokkien to both the foreign workers who were apparently hurt in industrial accidents. The soldiers remained quiet but i did learn that 3 soldiers were from rangers and the other 2 were from artillery.

their ranks are as follows: Rangers:leftanant (2nd officer rank)
Sergeant
Private
artillery: Private
Private

During my time in the recovery area 2 military policemen came,cuffed and removed the guys from artillery and i can only guess that the guys from rangers were involved in a training accident.

The man who was involved in the accident apparently was some kind of gangster and he had to pick a fight with one of the nurses and the policeman removed him. I then decided to ask the Bangladeshi worker beside me what his thoughts were and he was like he is afraid he will have to sent back home. At this point in time the nurse came ruffled my hair and told me i will be going to my ward- i was initially expecting a normal ward but because of my dad and stuff i ended up in a class A ward and it returned to like being in a private hospital again.

A guess what i learnt is that doctors at the public hospital didn't drive such fancy cars but yet they seemed more human- they have compassion and patience to be able to deal with the wide range of patients. that is truly respectable! Their interaction with you makes you feel more comfortable and it seems that they really care but then again eventually these doctors will end up in a private hospital when they realise that money comes first. The sad reality eh.

hold,touch, feel, kiss, taste
oh yes i'm well aware i'm dying
you are one thing i wont regret

-conflicted

-pubis

No comments: